September 28-30, 2012 “Bringing Red River’s History Alive”
Red River Aspencade
We are shaking things up a bit this year… We have added a theme to this year’s Aspencade… This year it is Aspencade – “Days of 1895 Steampunk Style!!”
What is Steampunk???
Steampunk has always been first and foremost a literary genre, or least a subgenre of science fiction and fantasy that includes social or technological aspects of the 19th century (the steam) usually with some deconstruction of, reimagining of, or rebellion against parts of it (the punk). Unfortunately, it is a poorly defined subgenre, with plenty of disagreement about what is and is not included. For example, steampunk stories may:
- Take place in the Victorian era but include advanced machines based on 19th century technology (e.g. The Difference Engine by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling);
- Include the supernatural as well (e.g. The Parasol Protectorate by Gail Carriger);
- Include the supernatural and forego the technology (e.g. The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers, one of the works that inspired the term ‘steampunk’);
- Include the advanced machines, but take place later than the Victorian period, thereby assuming that the predomination by electricity and petroleum never happens (e.g. The Peshawar Lancers by S. M. Stirling); or
- Take place in an another world altogether, but featuring Victorian-like technology (e.g. Mainspring by Jay Lake).
To learn more about Steampunk please go to www.Steampunk.com.
Get your early Christmas shopping done…
Do you have that hard to shop for person in your family? Well, look no further! Come to Red River and shop at Aspencade!This event invites some of the best arts and crafts vendors from the southwest and beyond! While you’re shopping listen to live musical performances by Phillip John Brooks, the Hwy 38 Houndogs, Justin Dean, and other musical talents of the southwest. Take a shopping break and enjoy our delicious food vendors.